We are the local branch of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, a global church with branches in over 70 countries "designed to commemorate the word and works of our Master, which should reinstate primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing."
We have been part of the local community for over 120 years. Our first services were held in Cotuit in 1897 and the cornerstone of our church edifice laid in 1902. As Hyannis grew into the commercial center of the Cape, our members relocated our edifice by oxen from Cotuit to its current location in Hyannis.
Mary Baker Eddy, who discovered and founded Christian Science, defined it as “the law of God, the law of good . . . ” It is "Christian" because it is based on the teachings of the Bible and Christ Jesus. It is "Science" because it is based on unchanging, spiritual laws of health and harmony which have been proved and demonstrated by its followers worldwide for over 100 years.
These laws are the foundation of Christian Science and are set forth in her primary work, the textbook of Christian Science, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.
You can find out more about Christian Science by clicking https://www.christianscience.com/ or by pasting the URL in your browser.
Our textbook outlines the core beliefs of Christian Science, all of which are rooted in the Bible.
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God’s image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God’s forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus’ atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man’s unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p. 497
We are a lay church with no professional clergy. Our services and activities are led by local members. Our founder ordained the Bible and our textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures as Pastor "for this Church and the world."
Our weekly sermons are published in the CHRISTIAN SCIENCE QUARTERLY BIBLE LESSON.
You can link to information about the weekly Bible lesson sermon, and how to subscribe to on-line or in print editions, by clicking https://biblelesson.christianscience.com/or by pasting the URL in your browser.
You may also be eligible for a free trial subscription which provides access to an audio version as well.
The Phoenix, AZ, metro area churches sponsor the following dial in numbers to access the current weekly Quarterly Bible Lesson and Sentinel Watch broadcasts. You are welcome to use them: